Leading Health Experts Express Support for Eshoo Bill to Create Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health
WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Wednesday, 13 top health experts and organizations sent a letter to U.S. Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (CA-18), Chairwoman of the Health Subcommittee, in support of her legislation to create an independent Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H), a health agency focused on accelerating biomedical innovation to develop transformative breakthroughs in how we detect and treat the deadliest diseases.
“The widespread support from leading experts and organizations for my legislation which establishes an independent ARPA-H is a message for Congress to move quickly to form this agency that will be a beacon of hope for so many Americans fighting for their lives,” said Eshoo. “A nimble, dynamic, and independent ARPA-H will transform health and medicine.”
“We, the undersigned, commend you for introducing the Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) Act (H.R. 5585), a bill that would authorize an important conduit for bold new health innovations,” wrote the experts. “We appreciate your determination to stand up ARPA-H as soon as possible and equip it with the flexibility and authorities it needs to meet its unique mission… Thank you for your longstanding leadership as a steward of forward-thinking, patient-centric health policy, and for the crucial role you are playing in advancing ARPA-H.”
A PDF of the letter can be found HERE.
Eshoo introduced the Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) Act on October 15, 2021.
The letter was signed by the following experts:
- George Vradenburg, Co-Founder and Chair of UsAgainstAlzheimer’s
- Christopher Austin, M.D.., Founding Director of National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
- Cartier Esham, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer of Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Annie Kennedy, Chief of Policy, Advocacy, and Patient Engagement at EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases
- Amy Comstock Rick, J.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Food and Drug Law Institute
- Mary Woolley, President and Chief Executive Officer of Research!America
- Keith R. Yamamoto, Ph.D., Vice Chancellor for Science Policy and Strategy at UCSF, Director of UCSF Precision Medicine, Professor of Cellular & Molecular Pharmacology
- Ellen Sigal, Founder and Chairperson of Friends of Cancer Research
- John Dwyer, President of Global Alzheimer’s Platform Foundation
- Margaret Hamburg, M.D., 21st Commissioner of U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Sudip Parikh, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer of American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D., President of Samaritan Health Initiatives, 12th Director of National Cancer Institute, 20th Commissioner of U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Bob Wright, Founder and Chair of The Suzanne Wright Foundation