Storm Preparedness Resources
Other pages in this section include:
- Resources for Constituents
- Storm Preparedness Resources
- Hurricane Relief
- Wildfire Preparedness Resources
- Earthquake Preparedness Resources
Is your home in a flood zone? Are you prepared for the upcoming storm?
The following are helpful resources to note to prepare for the first major rain season in years. Please review the information below and plan accordingly:
FEMA: Preparedness Resources
- Create your family communication plan
- Protect your critical documents & valuables
- Home flooding
- Research and buy flood insurance
- Landslides & debris flows
- Severe weather
- FLOOD MAP (by address): https://msc.fema.gov/portal
- Stay Connected by downloading the FEMA app. Receive alerts from the National Weather Service, customize your emergency checklist, submit disaster related photos, and locate open shelters. Available for Android and Apple devices.
County’s Office of Emergency Resources:
- Santa Clara County Office of Emergency Services
- San Mateo County Office of Emergency Services
- Santa Cruz County
NOTE: Make sure to register to receive local emergency alerts via e-mail and texts:
California Resources: http://storms.ca.gov/
- State’s Winter Readiness Fact Sheet
- Statewide Road Closures Map: A comprehensive map of all road closures in California.
- Road, Traffic and Travel Information: Real-time traffic information including conditions and traffic operations.
- Transportation Management and Emergency Operation Centers: In case of a major emergency, Caltrans districts would activate and staff Centers to provide adequate supplies, such as generator fuel and long storage food, and information to the media and public.
- The Caltrans Auxiliary Radio System (CARS): In case of a major emergency, the purpose of the CARS network is to support Caltrans’ emergency plans and to provide support and emergency communications, particularly during times of catastrophic emergencies when normal communication systems are damaged, disrupted or overloaded.
- California Conservation Corps (CCC) — Flood and Winter Storm Preparedness: The CCC has been fighting floods since the Corps was created in 1976, with corps members being dispatched to nearly every major flood since the Corps’ inception.
- Social Media: http://storms.ca.gov/social-media/twitter.html
- Emergency Kits (.pdf)
- Family Emergency Plan (.pdf)
- Build Back Safer and Stronger – What You Need to Know(.pdf) (Spanish)
- Flood Preparation and Safety (.pdf) (Spanish)
- NFIP Flood Insurance Claims Handbook (.pdf) (Spanish)
- National Flood Insurance Program Summary of Coverage(.pdf) (Spanish)
- Nothing Could Dampen the Joy of Home Ownership(.pdf) (Spanish)
- Preferred Risk Policy for Businesses (.pdf) (Spanish)
- Preferred Risk Policy for Homeowners and Renters (.pdf) (Spanish)
- Why You Need Flood Insurance (.pdf) (Spanish)
- Your Homeowner Insurance Doesn’t Cover Floods (.pdf) (Spanish)
- Collection of Materials in Spanish